The Andy Ausonio Library, the Castroville Branch of Monterey County Free Libraries. Named in honor of Andy Ausonio, a dedicated volunteer of the Monterey County Free Libraries, Foundation for Monterey County Free Libraries, and the Friends of the Library.
Within the lobby of the Andy Ausonio Library, there is a bronze plaque bearing the seal from Monterey County. The inscription reads…
Dedicated as a celebration of humanity achieving the highest levels of excellence in mind, body, and spirit through the accumulated wisdom of the ages, honoring those who ask what they can do, do it and in so doing enrich our lives, our civic virtue and our cultural diversity.
Andy, a Historian of Castroville, and a devoted member of the Castroville Historical Society understood the culture of our community. He discussed early Spanish land grants; Spanish and Portuguese cattle ranchers; Irish grain farmers; Swiss and Portuguese dairy farmers.
Andy and friends purchased the two-story schoolhouse “La Schola,” restoring her to her youthful self as she was built during the 1860s.
They had to get it up onto rolling logs and get a team of horses to pull it. (Andy Ausonio, 1989).
Salinas Californian reporter, John Waters wrote an article titled, “Castroville honors company, founder – Andy Ausonio builds name in the community,” and it is revealed that Andy built his first house as a teenager during the late 1940s. The two-unit duplex is located on Coaster Street in Castroville.
You’ve got to have a lot of interests.
(Andy Ausonio, 1988)
The Annual Spring Concert for Salinas Union High School was produced by the students of the music department, Andy played the trumpet. The Salinas Union High School Band and Orchestra played under the direction of Mr. Keith D. McKillop.
Miss Evelyn Sharp, advisor for the Salinas Unified High School supports students working on the yearbook, El Gab (El Gabilan). Andy is awarded recognition.
I would especially like to mention Andy Ausonio for coming on Sundays and for working many extra hours.” (Sharp, 1949).
Andy was on the yearbook committee “El Gab” while he attended Salinas Union High School, and was appointed to be an editor for the “La Reata” the yearbook for Hartnell Junior College. Miss Ida Garcia, Queen of Hartnell College’s Homecoming entered a nationwide contest by Esquire Magazine for Miss 1951 Calendar Girl.
Andy was commissioned to the rank of 2nd Lieutenant during his promotion ceremony held at Camp Cooke southeast of Santa Maria, California. The 149th Heavy Tank Battalion is part of the 49th Infantry Division.
Another man with a tough job to handle is Lt. Andrew Ausonio, a PG&E engineer from Castroville who last week changed his job for one of looking after 62 M-47 tanks for the 149th Tank Battalion.”
(Col. Wiltshire, 1952).
Awards and Memberships
- Past Chairman of the Monterey Bay District Associated General Contractors (AGC) and member of AGC State Board of Directors and received the AGC Contractor of the Year Award.
- Member and Past Chairman of the Artichoke Festival.
- Past Chairman of Our Lady of Refuge Catholic Church Lay Board.
- Member and Past President of the Valley Builders Exchange.
- Salinas Valley Builders Exchange Builder of the Year (1984).
- Member and Past President of the Castroville Rotary Club.
- Member of Rotary International Paul Harris Fellow.
- Past Chairman of the Monterey Diocese Finance Commission.
- Member of Monterey County Private Industry Council.
- Founder and Director of Bank of Salinas.
- Past Chairman of the Board of Bank of Salinas.
- Member and Past President of Native Sons of the Golden West.
- Recipient AGC of California Excellence in Client Service Award and Contractor of the Year Award.
- Member and Past President of Italian Catholic Federation.
- Director of the Artichoke Industries Inc.
- Member of the Monterey County CSA-14 Supervisors Committee.
- Member of the Castroville Club.
- Member of the Altar Society, Our Lady of Refuge Catholic Church.
- Parishioner of Our Lady of Refuge Catholic Church.
- Chairmen of the Castroville Catholic Men’s Club (Salinas Californian, 1960)
- Member of National Association of Watch and Clock Makers.
- Member of Salinas Elks Lodge.
- Watsonville Community, Brass and German Bands.
- Rotary Representative to Guatemala.
- US Army Veteran.
- US National Guard.
Donations, memberships dues, and volunteer opportunities